Speech pathologists are involved in the assessment and treatment of children with communication problems.
How do I know if my child needs to see a Speech Pathologist?
There are a number of key indicators that can help you decide if your child needs to see a speech pathologist. These include:
- Difficulties with pre-language skills, including making eye-contact or facial expressions, gesturing, babbling or imitating sounds
- Problems being understood by others
- Difficulties following instructions at home, kinder and/or school
- Problems answering questions e.g. repeating language back to you
- Problems making and maintaining peer relationships and friendships
- Poor listening skills
- Frustration at not being able to get message across
- Difficulties with producing grammatically-correct sentences
- Word-finding difficulties e.g. getting stuck on words, word errors, making up words
Please note, if you have any concerns regarding your child’s development please contact us to discuss these in further detail.
Areas of Specialty
The speech pathologists at Kids Connect Therapy specialise in the diagnosis and management of children from infancy through to adolescence years of age who have difficulties with:
- The building blocks for communication and language, including engagement, relating to others, imitating sounds and gesturing
- Receptive language development, including understanding of verbal and non-verbal communication
- Auditory Processing
- Expressive language development
- Speech sound development
- Social communication
- Play skills
All speech pathologists at Kids Connect Therapy have an ongoing commitment to enhancing their professional abilities by participating in Speech Pathology Australia’s Professional Self-Regulation (PSR) program.
Lindamood Bell Learning Processes
Several members of the Kids Connect Therapy staff have also trained in Lindamood Bell Learning Processes research-based and validated Seeing Stars®, Visualizing and Verbalizing® and Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® (LiPS™) programs.
Lindamood-Bell® programs help improve language processing—the foundation of all communication and learning. The intensive, one-to-one, process-based instruction, based on the individual’s learning needs, strengthens the sensory-cognitive functions needed for reading and comprehension, and has been proven successful for individuals with learning challenges, including dyslexia, hyperlexia, ADHD, and ASD.
Lindamood-Bell instructional programs include the following:
Seeing Stars®—This program, for phonemic awareness, reading, and spelling, develops symbol imagery—the ability to visualise sounds and letters in words for both phonological and orthographic processing.
Visualizing and Verbalizing for Language Comprehension and Thinking™—This program develops concept imagery for both oral and written language.
Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® (LiPS™)—This program develops phonemic awareness. Students learn to recognise how their mouths produce the sounds of language. This kinesthetic feedback enables reading, spelling, and speech.
More information about Lindamood Bell can be found at http://lindamoodbell.com/learning-centers.