Run by experienced Speech Pathologists and Occupational Therapists, our group programs focus on helping children from three years of age to adolescence. We support children to develop their social language and sensory-motor skills within a fun, play-based setting.
Our group programs are child led and play based. Play is a time of interaction, experimentation and expansion of ideas. It is a time of engagement, emotion, storytelling and socialisation. It is also the primary way that your child will begin to develop meaningful peer relationships and friendships. For these reasons, children require repeated opportunities to develop and practice play skills within a variety of naturalistic settings.
Our experienced therapists provide online facilitation within natural peer play interactions to enable your child to achieve his or her individual goals.
Each social skills group sessions runs for a hour each week of the school term. Group numbers vary from 2 – 5 children depending on your child’s individual needs.
What do we practice in the social skills groups?
- Using language with peers (pragmatic language skills)
- Noticing and joining peers in play
- Sharing emotional moments and increasing emotional resilience
- Co-operating with peers
- Shared social problem solving and negotiating
- Developing symbolic ideas with peers
Social skills are important to develop the ability to relate and connect to others. The early development of key social and emotional capabilities is important for:
- Increased self esteem
- Positive mental health outcomes
- Employment opportunities in adult life
- Improved overall well-being
Each of our group programs include:
- Individual goal setting
- Parent education sessions
- Parent feedback
- Formally written report regarding your child’s progress at the end of a 10 week program.
Children are required to attend an informal assessment prior to enrolment in the program in order to ascertain suitability and to determine individual goals. No formal diagnosis or referral is required for entry into the social skills group program.
Group programs are available during the week or on Saturdays. For more information, please contact us. This program is claimable through FaHCSIA funding.